Identifying And Treating Prostate Infection Symptoms

Prostate Infection Symptoms

Most men can expect to experience problems associated with their prostate gland at some time in their life. The older a man becomes, the more likely such problems will manifest. Often, the symptoms of an infected prostate are obvious. Discomfort during urination or pain during ejaculation are the most common signs. However, some infections aren't as easy to identify. In those cases, the infected prostate is detected during a routine physical exam. Below, you'll discover the potential causes of a prostate infection, common symptoms and treatments. Causes Of Prostate Infection Most types of infections in the prostate are caused by organisms unrelated to bacteria. In fact, only 5% of all prostate infections are directly attributable to bacteria. The remaining 95% of infections are due to a number of possible causes. These can include fungal organisms, viruses in the genital area, parasites and even staphylococcal organisms (though, the latter is rarely the cause). When bacteria is the cause of the infection, it can find its way into the prostate via passage through the prostatic ducts. This is often the result of a prior infection within the urethra. Otherwise, the prostate can become inflamed by means of infected urine passing into the tissue of the prostate through the ejaculatory ducts. Common Symptoms An infected prostate can manifest in several different ways. Many of the symptoms have nothing to do with cancer. Among the most common symptoms are difficulty urinating, trouble having or maintaining an erection and the presence of blood in the semen or urine. Other symptoms can include having to urinate frequently or conversely, an inability to urinate. If a man's prostate is inflamed, he may feel severe discomfort in his upper thighs and lower back. Each of these symptoms may also be accompanied by chills or a fever. Treatment Options Treatment for an infected prostate due to bacteria is usually done by giving the patient antibiotics. But, despite their being the best type of treatment of bacterial infections, their effectiveness is often temporary. Antibiotics have difficulty getting through the tissue of the prostate. Because of this limitation, some of the bacteria that caused the inflamed prostate cannot be killed. Recurrent infections can result. In the event of a nonbacterial infection, doctors will often use alpha blockers and other medications to relax the muscles in the prostate. Doing so helps relieve much of the discomfort experienced while urinating. However, though these drugs can alleviate the symptoms of an infected prostate, they often fail to resolve the infection. Medical Attention For Your Prostate The prostate is an important component of the male reproductive system. Its health is vital. Unfortunately, infections can easily occur. Most men will need to seek medical help for issues associated with their prostate. There are a number of treatment methods available; antibiotics, pain relievers, drugs and other muscle relaxants are among the most common. Without a doctor's guidance, it's impossible to know how severe the implications are of an infected prostate. If you're feeling any pain or discomfort when urinating, make an appointment with your doctor. The sooner you identify the issue, the sooner you can take steps to resolve it.

Prostate Health